Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Hot Chocolate and friends

They were together for about two months. Two months of dates in which he'd tell her stories of how he'd been with two women (twins, no less!) at the same time, how he'd been the stripper for his friend's bachelorette party, how he'd been picked up by so many women that he'd almost lost count; that he was a loner and 'not a nice guy'. And there she'd be, lying in his bed, in the dark of his room, thinking about the many faces people put on to hide hurt, and of how well both of them played the couldn't-care-less game.

She almost laughed at the fact that she was playing body-double for a girl whose ex-boyfriend was playing her rebound guy. Almost.

But the thing with body-doubles and ghost-exes, was that you knew they weren't the real thing - they weren't supposed to last. It was what they call 'a willing suspension of belief'. You bought your ticket, watched your movie, lived someone else's life for a few comfortably numb hours and then went back to reality.

Which is why when he started calling her again (a year after that movie ended) she refused to take his calls, deleted his number, then re-saved it as 'Bad Idea'*.

And then she remembered that one night when they'd been something like buddies. When they silly-danced with each other on You Sexy Thing - doing the butt-wiggle, the gospel-hands and the pretend strip-tease. For that one night, she had to admit, they had been friends...good friends. The kind who told you to stop whining and get on with your life. The kind that held your hand and fake-flirted you back to smiling, laughing and realising that life didn't stop just because people moved on.

she never did take his calls, but she smiles every time she hears that song.


*Which probably just goes to show that there's no such thing as a completely bad idea - 99% fucking stupid, yes, but hey, how else would you learn?

20 comments:

iz said...

Love your writing. Will definitely be back!

Revealed said...

Hear hear! I second this post! (always wanted to say that :P )

Anonymous said...

didn't quite get that but hoping you will elucidate

Brown Magic said...

way cool. linking you.

Anonymous said...

The only thing better than the writing in your post is the sentiment. And the writing is wonderful.

Falstaff said...

"playing body-double for a girl whose ex-boyfriend was playing her rebound guy."

As my good friend and fellow fictional character would say:

Lord, what fools these mortals be!

wiseling said...

I guess one good memory can make up for the empty space created by a lifetime of disappointments.It fills it up a little bit. Just a little bit, yes, but enough to keep the hope alive. :)

Chronicus Skepticus said...

iz:
And I love yours!

I also totally covet your grandmom (which is not, perhaps, the most appropriate thing to say to a first time commentor, but what the hell, I *do*!).

Revealed:
*grin*

Toe Knee:
Maybe it's something on the lines of 'If you look hard enough, every fuck up has a silver lining'. Or 'Learn from your mistakes' or even 'You can choose what you want to take away from an experience'?

Or maybe it's open to interpretation? :)

Brown Magic:
It is?? Er...I mean, thank you!

Oh and I'm linking you too, soon as I get off my lazy ass and update my template.

Sougata:
You're really very nice.

Thank you.

Falstaff:
Yes, well, we *firmly* believe that if you can look back at your early-twenties and not cringe, you've wasted 'em!

That said, that damn sprite knew his business.

Wiseling:
I'm not sure about the keeping hopes alive bit, but I think selective amnesia makes for happier people. :)

Falstaff said...

chronicus: Interesting. I personally believe that if you can look back at your early-twenties and actually remember them, you weren't wasted enough.

Chronicus Skepticus said...

Falstaff:
Damn you're good! :D

So is it all a blur for you? You don't seem the type, you know?

If I go by 'arial, 10 pts' that is. If I go by Old Guitarist, I'd be surprised if you remembered anything at all.

Anonymous said...

Ok, why haven't we gone out for a drink yet. Stupid thing called distance messes everything up.

J. Alfred Prufrock said...

This is lovely (profound, even) but since I've led a sheltered life, I have no idea what's going on.

Especially in the line that Falstaff quotes.
I shall look for a manual.

J.A.P.

Chronicus Skepticus said...

Ph:
Get here, the wobbly bar stools at Toto's await!

J.A.P.:
And you're never here long enough for us to begin the un-sheltering.
*sigh*

But thank you. :)

Szerelem said...

I don't know about my 20's....I'm still living them! But God do I look back at my teen years and cringe!

wiseling said...

@cs: Truer words were never spoken.. I think I need to incorporate some selective amnesia into my own life right about now! heh...

Chronicus Skepticus said...

Szerelem: Heh! You're on the right track m'girl! :D

Wiseling: If the amnesia's a problem, try gin! It probably wont help you forget but you'll have a whole new set of things to worry about and that way happiness (with a *little* touch of madness) lies.

I'm living proof! :D

Diviya said...

You certainly have a way with words. I hope you don't mind if I link you.

Anonymous said...

read it on ideasmithy's blog.

"There might be no happily ever after. But there is happiness."

:)

the mad momma said...

loved this post... loved loved loved it...

Chronicus Skepticus said...

Diviya: Sure, link away! And thank you. :)

You know, I don't know too many diviyas who spell their name this way.

Ginger Girl: Ah yes, I have a word for those; I call them smithy-isms. :)

Mad Momma: Thank you, you're very nice. :)